Thursday, December 17, 2009

ATP the "lost columns" (# 1 - 12/17)


Remember when you were in school and you had to write an essay on a subject you enjoyed? You had no problem coming up with the “thing” that you enjoyed, it was writing the paper and having it make sense the tough part. Back nearly 12 years ago, when I was first approached about writing a weekly column, it was kind of tough for me. The subject matter was easy; the handicapping aspect was also easy. It was coming up with a column, long enough to full each week and making it sound right.

I remember the very first column I wrote for the Amsterdam Recorder for the 1998 Kentucky Derby weekend. I remember the sports editor at the time telling me; “feel free to include more” when it came to the size of the column. Well, the next week and weeks to follow; the size of the column grew and it became easier to write each week. Subject matter was easy some weeks and tougher on others. Material was no problem to come up with during the Triple Crown trail, Saratoga and Breeder’s Cup time. It was after the Breeder’s Cup until usually when the three year old colts started prep races for the Kentucky Derby, when the writing time was slow. It’s that time of the year and while my column will be in a “winter” hiatus in “print”, it won’t be on the “web”.

Back, in April of 2008 I discovered how to make a “blog” on the internet. Ironically, I put it together the same day as when my father; Bill Hoffman passed away. I put the blog together between the time I got up that morning and went to work. In less than an hour, I had my words on the “world wide web” and a new avenue was opened for me. At first, the blog had more pictures than stories on it. But, just like my column; it flourished into something much more. It was another outlet for expressing my love for thoroughbred racing. Since then “AT THE POST on the Sand Flats” has been a source of fond memories of horse racing and related events the past year and a half. Whether it’s about Dee Tee Stables or other big horse racing events, my blog has been a fun thing to do. Now, that my weekly column won’t be returning to the RECORDER until the first week in March, my blog will be the “thing” that will keep my writing skills sharp. There might not be a new column each week, but it will stay updated when the things of thoroughbred racing importance come up.

In the next ten weeks, I’ll be looking back at racing in 2009 and the end of the first decade in the 21st century, updates on my racing partnership; Dee Tee Stables, the Eclipse Award voting and nominates, an early look at the upcoming three year old season on the road to the Triple Crown. As Neil Young would say; “Rust never sleeps” and I'll continue with the Thursday night tradition I’ve grown to love. The “lost” columns will be written as a tool to keep sharp until I’m back in print. This is the first of these columns…..next week I’ll give the “lowdown” on my trip to Philadelphia Park and Dee Tee Stables; Kickin N Screamin’s second race on the east coast with the legendary Anthony S. Black in the irons. Until next week…..cash those tickets!

No comments: