Saturday, October 5, 2013

Two year old Stakes take front and center toward the Breeder's Cup


The action this weekend is of the two year old variety, with four stake races for both sexes on dirt & turf. We have grade I races at a mile, both preps for the Juvenile Breeder's Cup championship races and two grade III races on the "proper surface Sunday, also BC preps. Along with these four races, today is a three year old turf race that could have possibilities for either the turf mile or turf classic. It's interesting that many of the two year olds who did well at Saratoga and were most successful, did it on off-track surfaces. Last weekend Belmont Futurity winner; In Trouble never raced on a off-track and the same could be said for the Matron winner; Miss Behaviour. This along with today's dirt races being a one turn mile, may come into play.

In the Frizette Stakes (9th) for the fillies, seven are entered with the rail horse; Sweet Reason (#1) winning both her career starts on a sloppy sealed track. Along with Stopchargingmaria (#4) and Repecta (#7) they also showed good efforts on off-track surfaces. We have a filly trying "real" dirt for the first time in; Ria Antonia (#5) for a new trainer today and shipping down from Woodbine. And Triple Crown winning trainer; Michael Matz has longshot runner; Tea Time (#3) entered. But, my top two selections have shown talent at this distance and with big time in debut at the Spa. Artemis Agrotera (#2) is my top selection after her smashing debut versus statebred at Saratoga this summer. My second choice is; Divided Attention (#6) broke her maiden in last start going this distance over the track. My selections are: 2-6-4-5.

The Foxwoods Champagne (10th) has nine runners entered and I'll dismiss the following horses; Casiguapo (#1), Long On Value (#6), Grand Arrival (#8). With these three I factor in their off-track efforts. Debt Ceiling (#4) and Strong Impact (#7) are already graded stake winners, but once again tend to dismiss them because of their better efforts on sealed sloppy tracks. Ride on Curlin (#2) had a good effort in his last start going two turns at Churchill Downs in stakes action, but don't know much about his trainer and Intense Holiday (#9) has a win at this distance, but that was a maiden effort at Monmouth Park. My top selection is; Honor Code (#5) who's maiden breaker at Saratoga in the slop was an eye catching one. I mention him in my Saratoga wrap-up column and go back to the NYRA replays on August 31st in the 3rd race and you'll see what I mean. For second, I'll go with Havana (#3) who had an impressive debut victory at Saratoga sprinting. My selections are: 5-3-9-2.

On Sunday in the first stake; the Pilgrim (9th) at a mile and a sixteenth for the colts, Bobby's Kitten (#5) gets my top billing after quite a interesting maiden breaker in his second career start at Saratoga . He was collared in mid stretch and re-rallied to win. My runner-up selection is; Blue Pigeon (#7) trained by top turf conditioner Christophe Clement. He was totally over looked in his debut and scored at 21-1. My selections are: 5-7-4-9.

In the Ms Grillo Stakes (10th) the filly equivalent of the above race, my top selection is Testa Rossi (#8) first time stateside from Chad Brown, shipping in from France where she has won three straight grass races. For second, Granny Mc's Kitten won the PG Johnson Stakes at Saratoga with a impressive late close. My selections here are: 8-10-4-7.

Going back to Saturday's card real quick, in the Jamaica Handicap for three year old colts on the grass going a mile & a eighth, my top pick is my Travers selection; War Dancer (#2) who didn't care for the dirt, but excels on the weeds with a powerful late kick. In this wide open, great betting event, my second selection is the ever consistent, Balance the Books (#4). Notacatbutallama (#12) always gives his best on any surface, but gets killed from the far outside post. Stormy Len (#7) always figures too and doesn't have to carry his track by racing five different venues. The picks in the Jamaica Handicap are: 2/4 with 2/4 with 5/7/12.

No comments: