Friday, July 18, 2014

Opening day at SARATOGA ........ it NEVER gets old!

Some things never grow old. When you were a kid, you couldn't wait for Christmas morning. As a teenager, you couldn't wait for the last day of school and summer vacation. When you were older, the times you spent with good friends at special events are everlasting memories. And the things you look forward to the most, are the things that will always be a special part of your life. Yesterday, even though I lived through it 15 years in a row, still holds a special place in my heart. Opening day at historic Saratoga Racecourse is not only the "Summer Place to Be", but one of my favorite places to be!

It's something that has never gotten old, even though the face of Saratoga, NYRA has gone through many changes in this time period. What once started in August, now begins six weeks before Labor Day. Some people think it's earlier every year. But it's still 40 racing days, enough in my book! To live only 40 miles and less than an hour, from the Mecca of thoroughbred racing is a dream come true for the lover of the ponies. The funny part of this is, I was in my mid twenties before I truly appreciated it. My first trip when I was sixteen years old in 1980, I could have cared less! But, that all changed when I became an adult, met others who loved the sport and most importantly, had a job that could give me money to wager with.

The experience even grew more in the 90's, when the novice bettor started to follow the sport each day and became an expert. Knowledge is power and the more knowledge you have and learn about the sport, the better chance you have to improve and even make a little money. But, my "big break" was in 1998, when I started writing for The Recorder and was a public handicapper in print. I can remember that first opening day at the Spa, I was excited like a kid on Christmas morning. It was a feeling that I really never had before. I could say up to that point in my life, there wasn't anything that I felt passionate about as a hobby or special interest more than horse racing. I look back and sometimes wonder, why thoroughbred racing would be so interesting to me.

I guess the passion isn't out of the ordinary. When I find something interesting and enjoyable, I stick with it. Maybe that's why my years of work with the county, coincide with the same amount of years I've followed the sport. I met a lot of wonderful people throughout the years and made a lot of good friends. Seen I lot of exciting races and great thoroughbreds. Been a part of history on many occasions at Saratoga. Had the thrill of cashing that "big ticket" and the excitement of being in the winners circle with a horse I've part owned. It's been a lot of long nights handicapping the races, tough wagering beats in photo finishes and even sad moments of horses getting hurt while doing what they love.

Opening day at Saratoga is the pinnacle of all this for myself. It's something that will always have a special part in my heart. I'll always remember the memories of the track on Union Ave. It's been a big part of my fifty years on this earth. Saratoga, it's truly MY favorite place to me!

For the next 40 days, my selections for Saratoga Race Course will be here in The Recorder each racing day and my "Play of the Day" will broadcast on 1490 WCSS Amsterdam each week day morning (expect Tuesday) at 8:05am. This year, the daily selection will be on the feature race of the day.

No comments: