Friday, September 26, 2014

Belmont Super Saturday '14 & "live" wager challange

Today is TVG Super Saturday at Belmont Park, the five grade I races and one grade II event bring together many of the nation’s top thoroughbreds for a spectacular day of racing. The centerpiece of the card is the grade I - one million Jockey Club Gold Cup Invitational at a mile & quarter, a race that has produced winners like; Man o’ War, who won the second running in 1920, Kelso, who won it five straight times from 1960-64, and Curlin, whose back-to-back victories in 2007 and 2008 won him consecutive Horse of the Year honors. All six graded stakes races serving as “Win and You’re In” events for the Breeders’ Cup in November at Santa Anita Park.

Along with today's races, Capital OTB has a special contest consisting of the stakes races. A "live" money handicapping contest, much like the Monday events at Saratoga this past summer with a $80 entry fee which $60 of it are "live" wagering plays of $5.00 win / place in each of the stakes race events. I'll give my selections for each of the races and my "live" money play of $10 for the contest which will be a price horse outside my top selections.

The grade II - Kelso Invitational Handicap (4th) at a mile on dirt is the first stake of the day. A field of seven are entered with the winner gaining a place in the starting gate for the Breeder's Cup Dirt Mile. My selections here are : It'smyluckyday (#7) - Bradester (#5) - River Rocks (#4). The contest play is : Vyjack (#3) who drops from sprints and stretches out to a mile, 12-1 morning line seems best choice of runners with a chance entered here.

The grade I - Beldame Invitational Stakes (5th) is for older filly and mares going a mile & a eighth. Seven are in here too for a birth in the Breeder's Cup Distaff. My picks here are : Stopchargingmaria (#3) - Endless Chatter (#1) - Toasting (#2). For my contest play, it came down between Endless Chatter & my choice; Fiftyshadesofhay (#5) who has a victory over the course in the Ruffian Handicap at a mile coming off the pace back in May.

The grade I - Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes (7th) is for the girls going a mile & a quarter over the Belmont Inner turf course. A win here gets the lady in the Breeder's Cup Filly and Mare Turf. My top three choices here are : Stephanie's Kitten (#9) - Viva Rafaela (#3) - Abaco (#1). It came down between two runners here also for the contest win / play wager. I went with Watsdachances (#6) over Alterite (#7). This Irish bred filly is making her third start off a layoff and may have a chance with her closing kick, IF fractions are quick up front.

The grade I - Vosburgh Invitational Stakes (8th) at six furlongs gathers the best sprinters on the east coast. Once you get past the morning line favorite; Palace (#1) my top choice, it's wide open. The two runners I'll use underneath him are; Salutos Amigos (#4) and Coup de Grace (#2). For the contest play, I'm going with a 20-1 morning line, first time Belmont runner; Ribo Bobo (#8). It's all about a price play here, with a consistent sprinter who is as hard hitting as they come!

The grade I - Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Stakes (9th) has the boys going the marathon distance of a mile & a half on the weeds. Top pick here is a runner who has done me no wrong in his starts here stateside; Main Sequence (#5) winner of back to back grade I races going this long distance. For second is the Kenneth Ramsey / Chad Brown duo entry of Big Blue Kitten & Real Solution (#1) and round out the top three ; Twilight Eclipse (#2). The "live" money wager here goes to the outside and Medal Count (#7) who was out finished in his last race at Kentucky Downs, price once again rules here again in this short wagering field.

The grade I - Jockey Club Gold Cup Invitational Stakes (10th) at a mile & quarter wraps up the day with a full field of 12 in a wide open betting event. Entered here are a Jim Dandy winner, a Suburban Handicap winner, a Belmont Stakes winner, a Travers Stakes winner and Whitney Handicap winner. Here I'm going with a Belmont loving runner; Tonalist (#8) as my top selection, Wicked Strong (#3) as the runner up and speedster Moreno (#11) holding on for third. When looking for a play here to round out my live plays, I couldn't really with any of the double digit odds horses. None were consistent enough for me, so it came down to me with the two single odds horses I didn't use in my top three selections. V.E. Day came into his own at Saratoga with two victories and a big one in the Travers Stakes. But, we're back at Belmont and there's a N.Y. bred who just loves the Belmont Park strip. Zivo (#4) who won the Suburban at 13-1 back in July, gets the call here. Honest as they come, he'll be flying down the lane late.

No comments: