Saturday, September 12, 2015

The "Cheers & Jeers" of Saratoga 2015 ...... in my opinion!




We wrap up the 2015 edition of the Saratoga Race Course meet with my version of "Cheers & Jeers". I'll give my opinion of three things that were very good at this year's meet and three that weren't so good in my opinion. You probably know where I going with the negatives, that's easy to find lately since New York State controls NYRA. The positives speak for themselves, they'll be on the racetrack. Because after all, that's what our sport is all about, what happens on the track!

"Cheer #1" : owner Amad Zayat and trainer; Bob Baffert - everyone who loves thoroughbred racing and especially at Saratoga, owes these two men a debt of gratitude! If it wasn't the sporting attitude of Mr. Zayat in wanting to race his Triple Crown Champion; American Pharoah to race at the greatest racetrack in the world and convincing his trainer to do it, we would have not seen one of the most exciting horses to come along in recent years. Even though he was gallant in defeat, the thrill of all those in attendance for this year's Travers was an exciting memory we will soon not forget!

"Jeer #1" : the commercialization of Saratoga Race Course - I've been beating this drum all summer long. It's great to advertise this wonderful and historic racing facility. But, there is a "price" involved in more ways than one. The betting dollar was stretched this year with many increased prices on track. Although wagering was up and attendance good, the affordability of spending at least one day at Saratoga 2015 was highly increased. Things may have worked out for this year, but this might not be the case in the future. Someday, the "Golden Goose" of Saratoga may get cooked. NYRA and the state depend on it too much.

"Cheer #2" : the fantastic weather during the 40 day meet - I can't remember a single racing season at the Spa in the last 30 years where the weather was almost perfect! With the expectation of maybe three days, the weather was rain free with very little races taken off the turf course. Tempertures were steady in the eighties with relative low humidity. Overall, perfect weather to spend the day at the track.

"Jeer #2" : the number of after race inquiries and jockey objections causing disqualifications. It seems that every little bump and every little movement as horses came down the stretch, whether is was on the main track or dirt was put under a microscope for the first part of the meet. I was on the end of some of these calls, so it may be "sour grapes" on my part. But, the disqualification of Juba and then, I'm a Chatterbox in the Coaching Club American Oaks were both border line calls in my opinion.

"Cheer #3" : the great performances we saw on track, both equine and human - First, the effort we saw from Honor Code in the Whitney Stakes, coming from the clouds to get a nose on the wire for victory. Both the off spring of the great Rachel Alexandra (Rachel Valentina & Jess's Dream) winning their debut races here at the Spa. The best older horse in the country; Liam's Map, who was gallant in defeat just getting beat in the Whitney, but came back and won the Woodward Stakes in record time on the front end. Jockey Javier Castellano, who won all the major graded races at Saratoga this year. No other jockey has EVER won the Whitney, Alabama, Travers, Woodward and Hopeful Stakes in one racing season. Truly, my highlight of this meet.

"Jeer #3" : my wagers on the losing end of photos and the constant problem of not structuring my exotic plays the right way. On opening day, in back to back race my exotic plays couldn't hold 2nd place in one race and couldn't reach the wire 1st in the next race. This cost me dearly and would have clearly put me in the "black" for the remainder of the meet if things turn out different. On closing week, it was not making my exotic plays the right, winning way. This is an on going beef with myself, using the right horses and not scoring on a ticket because they weren't structured the right way. Oh well, I've got 365 day to get it right before next year!





No comments: