Saturday, September 11, 2010

It was a “renaissance” race meet for yours truly - SARATOGA 2010


While many times certain events don’t live up to all the “hype”, the 2010 Saratoga race meet did in my book! I’ll admit that I was a little apprehensive with the expansion to the 40 day meet by adding four extra days. I thought that the influx of more racing days with a six day a week meet would “water down” the racing quality. During the Belmont spring meet, there were short fields and that was with racing only five days a week. But, with the addition of many Kentucky based trainers to Saratoga , things turned out alright.

Another concern was the Monmouth Park “weekend” race meet and what it would take away from Saratoga . This again had little or no impact on the 40 day meet here and saw some horses shipping New Jersey instead , but not enough to really hurt the field size at the Spa. There was a large amount of statebred races and even the “dreaded” five and half furlong turf sprints we had so many of, but Saratoga did survive that onslaught. The group of Kentucky based horses along with a large amount of two year old races really helped the meet and added a good mix of wide open, competitive betting events. My hat is off to; PJ Campo, NYRA Racing Secretary with the great racing cards he put together throughout the 40 day race meet.

We experienced pretty good summer weather also during this year’s race meet. Only opening day and the weekend before Travers week did we have wet weather and racing "off the turf"courses. The good weather kept field sizes up and the betting interests at a good level. Prices were to be had more times that not and there were many races where the favorite betting interest was 3-1 or better. The two year old talent was at the top of its game during the meet this year. Lots of first time maiden starters made great betting opportunities. None better than Thursday, August 12th in the 2nd race when I tabbed a first time starter from the Ralph Nicks barn (Valiant Passion) “on top” in my selections at a 30-1 ($63.00) win mutual. We saw winning at Saratoga this year, older horse; Blame defeat Quality Road in the Whitney Handicap and Blind Luck being victorious in the Alabama Stakes. With BOTH these horses having a victory at Saratoga and Churchill Downs , it is my opinion that Blind Luck wins the Ladies Classic (under the lights) on Breeder’s Cup Friday and Blame wins the Classic the next day......REMEMBER this prediction!

As for myself, it was a “renaissance” type season for selecting winners each day I handicapped the 40 day meet here. My season win total was a record 119 winners “on top” out of 393 races (30%). The 119 win total ranked me 5th out of 24 Saratoga racing handicappers from the season. The ROI total for the meet was $812.00 wagered on those 393 races. That means if you played my “top selection” with a $2.00 wager for the 40 days, you would have been ahead $26.00 at the finish. In other words, I “beat the meet” showing a flat profit. These totals were the best for me since the 103 winners that I had the first year I started handicapping the Saratoga race meet for the RECORDER (1998). I was “in a groove” from day one of the meet and the extra four days did not have an impact on my handicapping style. Not since 1992, when I had my all time best money return at a Saratoga race meet was I more successful with my selections and bankroll. But, the most overall greatest achievement in 2010 Saratoga race meet for me was getting my picture in the winner’s circle with a horse I had an interested in. Sunday August 29th 2010 will always be remembered as the biggest thoroughbred racing thrill I’ve ever had when Ausable Chasm won the 2nd race at Saratoga for Dee Tee Stables. That victory was the “icing on the cake” for a quite memorable Saratoga racing season.

After 25 years of following thoroughbred racing, the 2010 Saratoga race meet was everything that it was hyped up to be......and more. Thoroughbred racing is far from “dead”……this year’s race meet proved that with me!

No comments: