Friday, September 3, 2010

Words can't describe the feeling I had today.......


As I sit back and type on my keyboard just like every other Thursday evening; the past twelve years. Trying to think about what I’ll be writing each week for my weekly column….sometimes it’s tough to come up with the thoroughbred news of the day that hasn’t been alright covered on another racing related paper. Usually, the slow time comes right after the Breeder’s Cup and until the Triple Crown race preps start in mid- February. But, this time of year…...there’s no problem with coming up with material. I always like to take a personal perspective in each column I write. Today’s column is such one!

I’ve been very fortunate to have the pleasure in writing about this sport that I love. It’s been over 12 years here with the Amsterdam Recorder and 22 years in handicapping the “best” thoroughbred meet in the country; Saratoga. I met a lot of great people, learned very much when it comes to this sport and had the occasions of living great moments while doing all of this. But this past Sunday, was the pinnacle of all those days combined.

One thing I never thought I would be a part of was owning a thoroughbred runner. That dream came true during the winter of 2006. Her name was Sumwonlovesyou and she raced twice at Saratoga during the 2007 meet. She was the “lukewarm” the first time out on the opening weekend Sunday and raced back the final Sunday of the meet. After that last start, she never raced again, but it wasn’t the end of our little racing partnership.

We would add seven more horses to our stable and run in races all across the country. We would get winner circle photos at Arlington Park , Turfway Park , Charlestown Raceway and Philadelphia Park . But, what eluded our group was that winner’s circle photo at a New York based track. This past Sunday afternoon, shortly after 1:30pm, that dream came true! With our fourth starting horse at historic Saratoga Race Course, Ausable Chasm finally broke our maiden at my hometown track. This two year old filly maiden; sired by Hook and Ladder and out of a Comet Shine mare (Ausable), not only gave trainer; Gary Sciacca his first victory of the 2010 Saratoga meet, but also gave Dee Tee Stables their first victory at a NYRA racetrack. I cannot described the feeling I had right out by the clubhouse finish line with she crossed the wire first by three lengths. I felt bad for the poor woman if front of me at the fence, because I was screaming so loud as our two year old filly was coming down the lane.

I was literally shaking a she came back to the winner’s circle for our first winner’s circle photo at Saratoga . We had about 40 people gathered there and everyone in attendance was ALL smiles! It finally came to fruition; we had won a race at Saratoga ! It was the icing on the cake for a very good 2010 Saratoga meet for myself with a record number of “winners-on-top” and of course; our horse winning. It has capped off a wonderful and memorable 2010 Saratoga race meet. Great weather, great racing and most of all; fun & memorable times during the world’s greatest race meet. It’s something dreams are made of and for this brief moment in time……it was ours!

No comments: