Saturday, July 23, 2011

My "Saratoga Statement" ....... thoughts on 25 yrs. of lovin' the track!


The "summer place to be" Saratoga is among us; 40 days of the best racing in the country, right in our backyard! This year's Saratoga season means especially more to me, because it marks the 25th year of myself following the sport of thoroughbred racing and also going to Saratoga racecourse. The other night, while thinking back about the last 25 years; a lot of memories returned. I sat down and as they were fresh in my mind, I wrote what I call my; "Saratoga Statement". I always like to tell a story about things and memories of the past, when it comes to my life experiences. Many times, people are amazed how I can remember certain things, times and places. I guess they made an impression in my mind, so it's easy to recall them. So, I tried in a short way to describe my Saratoga experience and the memories I had the last 25 years there and with the people who mean most to me. Here is my little "statement" I hope you enjoy it.


"Well, this opening day begins my 25th year of going to my most favorite place on the earth; Saratoga Racecourse. If you asked me that question before I started to work for Montgomery County , I would have said; "huh"???? You see I had NO interest in horse racing before then. But, it has become a ritual for myself ever since then. I've been handicapping every Saratoga race since 1988 and in print since 1998, it's something I find challenging and enjoy to do. I've seen great thoroughbreds like; Easy Goer, Point Given and Rachel Alexandra win at this historic track. I've spend many nights handicapping the daily 9 (or 10 plus) races, made many trips on route 29 east or route 67 to the Spa, through any type of weather. I've met many great people throughout the years and even had a horse; race and win at the Spa. That was one of the best moments and was memorable. Last year when Ausable Chasm broke her maiden for Dee Tee Stables the day after the Travers, I was thrilled to no end! Then, there was the time in 2008 when, Sumwonslovesyou; our first horse for the stable, was the post time favorite in a race at Saratoga, this I'll never forget. But, most of all, it was all the times throughout the years that I spend with family and friends at Saratoga that meant the most. These days were most special to me! My dad; Bill Hoffman was my companion at the track until he past away in 2008. He was the biggest supporter of me and my love of thoroughbred racing, I missed the trips with him here very much, I owe a lot to him. There are all the times with my friends from Fort Plain, heading to the track and enjoying the day. Most recent years, with my Dee Tee Stables partners at the Carolina Bar-b-que and seeing our horses race. But, the person who I've spend the last 20 years with is the one who I owe the most. She has taken up with my wins, losses and would-have & should haves. She is the "love of my life" Karen. You see, she was like me and didn't know anything about horse racing until she was introduced to it. She became a fan and like me and fell in love with the sport. With her support throughout the years, my life during July and August really has been enjoyable with her by my side. Everybody knows that this is a special time of the year for me and my involvement with this sport. It's the one thing that I can say that I am most proud of in my life. There are not many things I'm good at, but thoroughbred racing and Saratoga is my life each and every summer. I'm a lucky guy to be blessed with the passion for it! It's now post time........let's try and get a few winners and have fun!"

No comments: