Friday, July 29, 2011

They're off & running @ Saratoga.......flying start!


Well, week #1 and then some is in the books, once again the racing carded at Saratoga is bar none and the opening card was just an indicating of that. It was just a "little hot" but, my morning got started early with my good friend; Mike Villa at his house just a few blocks from the track (lucky guy). We looking at the days card then headed over to the track. Between the time I left my car outside the track and the first race, I must have ran into at least a half dozen of my fellow horse racing friends. After narrowly missing in the opener with Fizzano at 7-1, my "Horse to Beat" play of the day came through in the fourth race. Valiant Passion (who I tabbed at 30-1 here last year). She returned to the races, proved that she "loves" the Spa and is back, ready for stakes action with her victory. Later in the afternoon, Pure Gossip reprised a Valiant Passion effort and with the same. longshot price ($78.00) as my 2nd choice in the 7th race. In the opening day feature, Todd Pletcher picked up right where he left off last year with Georgie's Angel in the Schuylerville Stakes for two year old fillies. Just like the card, day #1 was great!

Saturday's card was a "headbanger" to say the least. Other than Bob Baffert's west coast shipper in the 3rd race (Saddleranch) the races were wide open and very tough to decipher. In the 7th race, a maiden special weight event; the post time favorite was 9-2 in the betting. The day was topped off with five horse, evenly matched field in the TVG Coaching Club American Oaks. It's Tricky narrowly defeated Plum Pretty at the shadow of the wire and now will be heading to the Alabama in a few weeks.

On Sunday, Dee Tee Stable's maiden gelding; Lloydobler made his first appearance at Saratoga and was the first time I saw him in the flesh. Although he didn't race that well, it was an exciting day with my good friend; Dave Scott and the rest of my partnership friends seeing him run at the Spa. Oh, by the way....Todd Pletcher won the feature again with a two year old. Will, Overdriven be this year's version of Uncle Mo ? He did sure look good in winning the Sanford Stakes.

Monday, the rains came during the 2nd race and while it cooled things off a bit, I remained "hot" with my most profitable day of the meet so far. Could have even been more better, but late scratches and races off the turf hinter my exotic payouts. The first four days of what some call the "mini" meet was good for my bankroll and kept me "above water" early into the meet.

Starting the first full week on Wednesday, we saw two explosive efforts. When Overdriven won the Sanford Stakes on Sunday, the horse he ran down in his maiden breaker was returning in the 3rd race. JC 's Pride won the race in impressive style and also set a track record at Saratoga for five furlongs. Later on in the card, the best three year old turf filly showed why she is just that. Winter Memories came from the back of the pack while getting checked on the far turn and rallied to victory. While drawing away in the stretch, she was "geared down" and under wraps. This effort may be the best at the Spa all season long. The first six days of the meet, the racing was great as usual and the bankroll is looking good going into the weekend. I love this time of the year and we're off to a good start. Hopefully more to come at the Spa.

No comments: