Monday, July 16, 2012

There was Fourstardave before, Funny Cide later..... but, in between; Thunder Rumble!



It's hard to believe that it has been 20 years since I had one of my most successful and fun race meets at Saratoga . 1992 was quite a year in thoroughbred racing for myself. That year I tabbed the horse that would eventually win the Breeder's Cup Classic (AP Indy), I was starting my 2nd year with Nick Kling on our public access show the "original" Down the Stretch and was doing quite well with my "horses to watch "list and that summer, marked the first year that I took my new family; Karen, Joshua and Nicole to Saratoga during August.

We first went to what was called; the Wait Trials at the Saratoga training track, this was the prelude to what is now, the Saratoga Open House before the meet starts. It was the first time I went and enjoyed the day with my family and hospitably that then trainer; Billy Sise showed us at his barn. The kids really loved it and in a few weeks, we would go to see the ponies do their thing in the afternoons. Now, going to the track for a nine year old and seven year old could prove interesting! But, we picked the first Sunday of the meet and went with my parents.

It happened to be the day of the Jim Dandy Stakes, which was a prep for the Travers. The class of '92 three year olds had some very good runners like; Dixie Brass, Pine Bluff , Alydeed and a little N.Y. bred named; Thunder Rumble. He had a decent spring that year and was going to be pointed toward the Kentucky Derby . But, much like AP Indy, a injury caused a change of plans for him. So, his trainer; the late Richie O'Connell got him ready for the big two three year old races at the Spa. Coming into Saratoga off the layoff and being a statebred racing in graded stakes company, he got overlooked in the wagering.

Now up to this point in the day, I had my most successful day of wagering at Saratoga in the six years that I had been going. My bankroll was up over $300 my the mid-race card and the smart bettor I am, decided to quit while I was ahead that day. But, my stepson wanted me to play him a horse in the Jim Dandy field. That horse was Thunder Rumble and the reason was, he liked the name! Well, I put $2.00 across the board for Joshua and the N.Y. bred won the race and paid over $50 to win! That made a little boy, VERY happy! For the first time at the track as a family, was quite an experience and still 20 years later, we make at least one trip as a group there.


That year, Thunder Rumble would go on to archieve the elusive Jim Dandy / Travers victory double by also winning the Mid-Summer Derby at 7-1. He became in a short time one of the most popular N.Y. breds, right up there with the likes of the"Sultan of Saratoga "; Fourstardave. He would go on in the Fall and race in the Breeder's Cup Classic and return the following year to Saratoga and capture the Saratoga Cup Stakes. After his racing career, he went to the farm and now resides just a few miles from the racetrack at Old Friends Farm, in Middle Grove off of route 29. I got to see him two years ago in his own paddock and he looked lively as ever at the age of 21.

We've had a lot of great N.Y. bred horses throughout the years. Whether it was Fourstardave or later the 2003 Kentucky Derby winner; Funny Cide, that day nearly 20 years ago, a N.Y. bred named Thunder Rumble made a kid from Fonda N.Y. very happy! That's what going to the racetrack does; gives us lasting, wonderful memories.

No comments: