Saturday, July 21, 2012

Twas the Night Before Saratoga by Mark Hoffman


It was the night before Saratoga , as I prepared for the meet
My computer was buzzing, even my wireless mouse.
The past performances were printed with care,
In hopes that the "racing gods" would treat me fair.

The entries were nestled all in their post positions,
While visions of winning tickets, danced in my head.
Mamma watching the "Lifetime" network and me with my racing form,
We just settled our brains for a long Saratoga meet.

When on my computer, there rose such a dilemma
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter.
Away to the entries I flew like a flash,
Tore open the running lines and marked up the paper.

The sunset of the hot day
Gave the thought of the races tomorrow.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a moral "lock" in tomorrow's feature race.

With a little known jockey, so lively with weight,
I knew in a moment he must be real quick.
With buzz from the start, the bettors they came,
And like a rocket he broke, so speedy from the gate.

He got clear of the leaders and away he went.
From the top of the stretch, his steed was in the lead.
Now dash away, dash away from them all and away he went.

As he left his opponents in the dust, like a wild hurricane fly,
When he got to the finish on his mount, I reached to the sky.
So in the grandstand, the crowd did cheer.
With the victory in hand, and the bettors that were happy as dear.

He returned to the winner's circle and did the crowd roar.
I got out my winning ticket and cashed out my score.
Back through the paddock, the winner was going .
And his body all tarnished with dirt and sweat.
with his saddle was no longer flung on his back,
And he looked like a winner, proud from the pack.

His eyes, how they twinkled and so did mine!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And his head stood proud, as he headed back to the barn.

His bit was no longer held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke, was left on the track.
He had a broad face and was full of muscle.
That shook when he whined, so full of trouble.

And I saluted when I saw him, and was full of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon told me everything I know, I had chosen the best!

He spoke not a word, as he walked into the distance
And filled all the winners, cash in their pockets
I gave him a nod, and back to the barn he went.

I said to myself, with endearment to my pick .
God, I love this game and will never quit.
So, Saratoga is here......for the next 40 days
Happy Spa to all, and cash tickets all day!



No comments: