Sunday, July 21, 2013

They're off........ at SARATOGA!


To say that the beginning of 2013 Saratoga race meet got off to a "hot" start, would be a understatement! It was day #5 of a 90 plus degree heat wave when the starting gates opened for the 40 day meet that runs through Labor Day. The New York Racing Association (NYRA) supposedly opens a "new" era with new leadership in place. New faces, new directions are all what it's about when it comes to NYRA and they want to show the public and so course; New York State Government exactly that. But, I've heard this same "song and dance" the last ten years or so and in the end, state government has the LAST say!

This week, new NYRA President / CEO, Christopher Kay met with the press and talked about the direction he wants to see the racing association go into the future. But, talk is cheap IF his hands are tied by the "powers to be" much like the past decade by the state. After all, no matter how you cut it, the bottom line is that Saratoga is a RACE track! We can present it, with all the bells and whistles and new fangled ideas. In the end, it's the money that pass through the windows that counts the most. And the state is worrying about that the most.

I'll be starting my 16th season handicapping the six day a week meet for the Amsterdam Recorder and 26th over all. I've seen it all in that time frame. Opening day is STILL special though. Even though I'll be at the "century" mark (50 years old) in 2014, this time of the year still excites me. The best in thoroughbred racing in the world, comes to upstate New York during the summer months and the area economy thrives with thousands of people coming to the area. Generally a economically depressed area, the Capital District gets a much needed shot in the arm for month and a half. It's something we should be grateful for and should embrace it.

Besides my handicapping of the daily nine (or so) , I'll also have a vested interest with some of the equine flesh that will appear here at the Spa. In fact, on today's card; Dee Tee Stables has two horses entered. In today's 5th race; our N.Y. bred gelding; TOY CANNON continues to try and get his 2nd career victory. Co-owned with Paul Pompa (of Big Brown fame) he's been a steady contender this year and unlucky in his past few starts. Later on the card in the 11th race finale, our other statebred gelding; CORYBANT drops into a open company beaten claimer and gets a BIG jockey switch to Rosie Napravink. Going from the rail, he could land a piece and at a big price! We also had another runner for the grass, MY PAL OF PALS who is trying to get through his non winners of one condition.

This year's Saratoga meet will also have a special place in my heart with my "Play of the Day" which I give out every week day after the 8am news on WCSS 1490am radio during the Mike Mancini Show. My hometown of Fort Plain , New York was devastated by deadly flood which destroyed much of the town. It affected family, friends and broke my heart to see the damage that was done. So, the winnings from my play of the day wager will ALL be donated to the flood victims of Fort Plain. It's my little part in giving back to the community I spent 25 years of my youth and grew up in. It's a special time of the year for me, I'll enjoy it and invite you to come along for the ride until Labor Day!

No comments: