Thursday, June 25, 2015

The times are changing ........ and NOT for the bettor!

The older I get, the more I remind myself of my dad. I think back of how he was when he was the age I'm now. The thinning hair, his glasses and that little "beer gut" on his thin frame. I also how he remembered the times of his youth, a simpler time in his mind. Even though dad has been gone for seven years, things have changed a lot in this world and around us. That brings me to this week's column, and the changes in the racing world that are closely around us. That would be Saratoga.

It's been nearly thirty five years that I first set foot at Saratoga Race Course, and just about thirty since I really fell in love with our sport. I missed the " good times" the sport endured in the sixties and seventies. But, have been there for Saratoga's extreme popularity since the backyard was expanded in 1983. But, after this Monday's annual press conference for the 2015 meet, I knew that the peak of the race course as we have known it, is heading the other way.

It's been about fifteen tenuous years of turmoil at NYRA. Now, the greatest race track in the world has taken it's toll because of it. State involvement and the direction of racing at it's crown jewel has been changed forever. I'm not the only one who agrees with my statement on how racing at Saratoga will be viewed and how it's viewed by the "powers to be" who runs the show now.

A celebrated press conference announcing it's premier meet has become little more than a money making footnote in the history of thoroughbred racing at the historic Spa. People who know little about the 150 plus year history of the Union Avenue facility, have in just two years taken what was so great about the "Summer place to be" and turned it into something that real race track goers and historians didn't want to see. A place where families could go, with little cost and enjoy racing like it was for decades.

The announcement ending the open house the Sunday before the meet started for financial reasons is just the tip of the iceberg. A tradition for longer than I been writing this column is now gone. A day where families could come to the track for free and enjoy the aspects of a family event, where non-profit organizations could make money for there respective groups and children could see the thoroughbreds through steeplechase races and the Newman Weight Trials for unraced horses. This has fallen victim to the "new" direction that management has gone. The tradition of securing those picnic tables in the Saratoga backyard area has been altered too. There is a price tag for some of those tables now, thinking it will draw more people to the track daily. Even though the main reasoning for the option is to increase revenue. The changes to the carousel area on the main level, to a "sports bar" with an admission fee is not for the betterment of attracting fans to sport, but just another reason for people to spent money other than the main reason coming, betting on the ponies.


Yes, the 2015 Saratoga race meet is not your father's typical race meet. It's true that times change, but the single most reason of the 40 days at Saratoga, are for the thoroughbred racing. Unfortunately, the powers to be running NYRA have forgotten that. It's all about how much money, Saratoga can produce for the state and that is the bottom line with these new "improvements". I'll take lot of heat for my stance, but many agree with me that the flavor and history of Saratoga Race Course is slowing being taken away. I have said many times before, I long for the 24 day meet, the nine race cards at the "August place to be". Now, I just long for the historical races that are still run and famous horses who won them. With attendance and handle down all across the country this year, these "new" things are hardly going to bring back racing to it's heyday. We would be lucky to get, Triple Crown Champion; American Pharoah to the Spa for one race. But like the thirty seven year wait for crowning that champion; the "new" Saratoga racing experience seems to be a let down from the past. We shall see how it will be received.




No comments: