Friday, July 3, 2015

A 4th of July to remember ....... Stars & Stripes festival @ Belmont Park





It's a 4th of July celebration at Belmont Park with six graded stake races today. It's NYRA's second edition of the; Stars and Stripes Festival, one of thier two big events during the summer race meet. With these races, this would be a good way of introducing my new handicapping format for the upcoming Saratoga meet. All the stake races like today and during Saratoga will be my main focus each racing day. It's my traditional format that I've been using the past few years, my top two picks and three runners to use underneath in exotics will be selected every day during the 40 day meet. I will not be handicapping the entire race card this year, instead I'll be choosing an exotic play each day that will consist of either; exacta, triple, superfecta, double, pick three or grand slam play. It will vary each time, but those type of wagers will make up the six day week selections along with the stakes play. So here's a "dry run" of sorts on how my Saratoga 2015 wagering and plays will look this summer in the Recorder.

Race (#6) - the Victory Ride for three year old fillies will introduce my exacta play of the day example. This short field has two stick out runners in my opinion. The formerly undefeated (#1) Promise Me Silver and (#5) Irish Jasper currently on a two race win streak in stake races both at a price. These two I would "box" heavily in a exacta.

Race (#7) - the Dwyer Stakes for three year old males will start a pick 3 play example wager. In leg #1 (this race) - the layoff horse (#4) Texas Red is the "key" play here or single, Leg #2 - I'll be going three deep with selections; (#2) Bolo who has speed, (#3) Divisidero the class and likely favorite, (#7) Postulation a European import for classy trainer Dermot Weld, Leg #3 another "single" with (#6) Tonalist who just missed in the grade I - Met Mile in his last start. So the play will be : Texas Red (#4) with Bolo (#2) / Divisidero (#3) / (#7) Postulation with Tonalist (#6)

Race (#8) - the Belmont Derby going a mile & a quarter on the grass and will be my double wager play. I'll be using the three horses stated above in my pick 3 play; 2/3/7 with 6 in the Suburban Handicap race #9.

Race (#9) - the Suburban Handicap going a mile & a quarter on dirt is my triple play; I will "key" on top Tonalist (#6) and use in the place spots, both Pletcher runners; Coach Inge (#2) and Mylute (#3) and for show, both the remaining runners; 1/4/5 or ALL. This "key" triple play will cost $8.00 for a buck or $4.00 for a 50 cent triple play.

Race (#10) - the Belmont Oaks features the top three year old filly; Lady Eli in a full field of 14 runners. A excellent spot for a dime superfecta play! We'll do a couple different variations since the wager is in dime increments, with "keying" Lady Eli on top and saver wagers "boxing" her with other likely contenders. First play is a "key" superfecta with Lady Eli (#2) in the first leg, Spanish Queen (#6) winner of the American Oaks at Santa Anita in her last start going this distance and Outstanding (#10) European invader for Aidan O'Brien in the place spot, using both those two also in the show spot along with Pine Needles (#1), Consumer Credit (#7) and the above four runners (1/6/7/10) for the bottom superfecta leg, including Sentiero Italia (#11) & Strict Compliance (#14) also. Making the play; 2 with 6//10 with 1/6/7/10 with 1/6/7/10/11/14 which will cost $2.40. The "saver" boxed dime superfecta play will be - 2/6/10/11 and that will be the same price ($2.40) as the above play, but in any order.

Race (#11) - the Belmont Sprint Championship, I'll use my standard play for all stakes races this Saratoga meet. Two picks in a exacta with three horses underneath for exotic plays. Top two selections are; Private Zone (#3) and The Big Beast (#2) with Bay of Plenty (#1) - Stallwalkin' Dude (#6) - C. Zee (#7) as the three runners to include with my top two picks.

No comments: